Last Updated: May 2, 2017
We collect two types of information through the Service: Personal Information and Other Information. “Personal Information” is information that identifies you as a specific individual. Other Information is discussed separately below, under the “Other Information” heading.
Personal Information We Collect
We and our service providers may collect certain Personal Information, such as:
- Mailing address
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Driver’s license number
- Driver’s license photograph
- Social Security number
- Credit and debit card number
How We Use Personal Information
We and our service providers may use Personal Information as follows:
- To respond to your inquiries and assist in fulfilling your requests, including to contact you if necessary.
- To process and fulfill your Service-related transactions, for example by confirming billing and information, processing your payments, facilitating a vehicle-sharing arrangement, picking up or delivering a vehicle and communicating with you regarding your use of the Service.
- To send important information to you regarding the Service, changes to our terms, conditions and policies, and other administrative information.
- To send information to you by email, postal mail, telephone and other means about our products and services, and those of our subsidiaries and other affiliated entities (“Affiliates”), and those of other third parties.
- To help us improve the experience of users of the Service, including by learning more about your preferences to help personalize your experience using the Service.
- To allow you to use the Service to send messages to other users of the Service.
- To allow you to use the Service to notify your friends and colleagues about the Service.
- For our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, background checks, identity verification, fraud monitoring and prevention, enhancing, improving or modifying the Service or our other services, developing new services or products, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities.
- To protect the security or integrity of our business and online properties.
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (1) under applicable law; (2) to comply with legal process; (3) to respond to requests from public and government authorities; (4) to enforce agreements that we have with you or other users; (5) to protect our operations or those of any of our Affiliates; (6) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, or that of you, our Affiliates or others; and (7) to allow us to pursue available remedies or to limit the damages that we may sustain.
- As otherwise permitted by you.
How Personal Information Is Disclosed
We and our service providers may disclose Personal Information as follows:
- To our third-party service providers that provide services such as hosting, data storage, data analysis, payment processing, order fulfillment, IT services and infrastructure, customer service, email delivery, credit and debit card processing, auditing, maintenance, verifications, inspections, shipping of vehicles, repossession of vehicles and other similar services, to enable them to provide services.
- To third-party insurance companies and their service providers in connection with your use of the Service.
- To our Affiliates and to other third parties for marketing and other purposes.
- To third-party sponsors of sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions.
- To identify you to anyone to whom you send messages through the Service.
- As a result of posts or other disclosures by you, including on message boards, “check-in” functionality, chats, profile pages and blogs, and other services through which you are able to post information and materials. Please note that any information and materials that you post or disclose through such services may become public, and may be available to other users of the Service and to the general public; we urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose your Personal Information, or any other information, on or through the Service.
- To one or more third parties in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock, including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceeding.
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (1) under applicable law; (2) to comply with legal process; (3) to respond to requests from public and government authorities; (4) to enforce agreements that we have with you or others; (5) to protect our operations or those of any of our Affiliates; (6) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, or that of you, our Affiliates or others; and (7) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
- As otherwise permitted by you.
“Other Information” is any information that does not identify you as a specific individual.
Other Information We Collect
We and our service providers may collect Other Information such as:
- Browser information
- Server log files
- App usage data
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies
- Physical location of your device
- Demographic, profile and vehicle information, and other non-personally-identifiable information provided by you
- Aggregated information
How We Collect Other Information
We and our service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through your browser or device: Certain information is collected through most devices, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, device manufacturer and model, device identifier, screen resolution, and the type and version of your operating system and browser. We may use this information to, among other things, ensure that the Service functions properly. In addition, an Internet Protocol (IP) address (e., a number that is automatically assigned to a device by an Internet Service Provider) is logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user visits the Service, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. We and our service providers use IP addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels, helping diagnose server problems and administering the Service.
- Through your use of our mobile app: When you download and use our app, we and our service providers may track and collect app usage data, such as the date and time the app on your device accesses our servers and what information and files have been downloaded to the app based on your device number.
- Flash Local Stored Objects: We and our service providers may use a third-party technology, called Flash, in connection with the Service, including our online content. Flash provides a facility, called Local Stored Objects (“LSO”), that allows a website operator or online content provider (or their service providers) to store certain information locally on an individual’s device; for example, Flash LSOs can be used to store information regarding an individual’s device. If you do not want Flash LSOs stored on your device, you can adjust the settings of your Flash player to block Flash LSO storage using the Website Storage Settings Panel. You can also control Flash LSOs by going to the Global Storage Settings Panel and following the instructions (which may include instructions that explain, for example, how to delete existing Flash LSOs (referred to as “information” on the Macromedia site), how to prevent Flash LSOs from being placed on your device without you being asked, and (for Flash Player 8 and later) how to block Flash LSOs that are not being delivered by the operator of the page you are on at the time). Please note that setting the Flash Player to restrict or limit acceptance of Flash LSOs may reduce or impede the functionality of some Flash applications, including, potentially, Flash applications used in connection with the Service. We expect our service providers and technology suppliers to honor any decision by you to restrict or limit Flash LSOs, but we cannot guarantee that they will do so.
- Using pixel tags and other similar technologies: Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) are small images that may be used by us and our service providers in connection with some pages of the Service and HTML-formatted email messages to, among other things, render such pages to you on various hardware devices and operating system versions, track the actions of Service users and email recipients, measure the success of marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage and response rates. Pixel tags may collect information such as the pages, features and links accessed by a user, and the IP address, browser type and operating system of such user’s device.
- Physical location: We and our service providers may collect the physical location of your device or vehicle by, for example, using satellite, cell phone tower or WiFi signals. We may use your device’s or vehicle’s physical location and other information we collect to provide you with personalized location-based services and content, including for marketing purposes, based on the choices you have made with respect to such uses. We may also share such information with other Service users (for example, to facilitate the sharing of vehicles) and with third-party insurance companies and their service providers. We may share aggregated statistics derived from your device’s or vehicle’s physical location and other information we collect with advertisers and other third parties. You may be permitted to allow or deny such collection of location information, such as through the settings on your device; however, if you are presented with such option and choose to deny such collection, we, and our service providers, may not be able to provide the Service (or one or more components thereof) to you, and we, our service providers and third-party marketing partners may not be able to provide you with certain personalized services and content.
- From you: We and our service providers may collect demographic and profile information such as your city, state or ZIP code of residence, as well as other information, such as your preferred means of communication, your gender, your date of birth and information related to your vehicle and driving habits, when you voluntarily provide this information to us or our service providers. Unless combined with Personal Information, this information does not personally identify you or any other user of the Service.
- By aggregating information: We and our service providers may aggregate Personal Information collected from you and other users, for example by using Personal Information to calculate the percentage of users who have a particular telephone area code. Aggregated Personal Information does not personally identify you or any other user of the Service.
How We Use and Disclose Other Information
We may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose. In some instances, we may combine Other Information with Personal Information (such as combining your ZIP code with your name). If we combine any Other Information with Personal Information, the combined information will be treated by us as Personal Information while it is so combined.
Third Parties and Third-Party Sites
We are not responsible for the information collection, usage, disclosure or other practices of any third parties, including our Affiliates, third-party service providers, any third-party social media platform provider (such as Facebook), any third party making available the devices or operating systems for which the service is available (such as Apple or Google), any third-party payment processor, any third party e-mail management platform provider, any third-party advertising company and any third party operating any site to which the Service contains a link. The inclusion of a link through the Service does not imply that we endorse the linked site.
Third-Party Payment Processors
Third-Party E-mail Management Platform Providers
Third-Party Background and/or Identity Verification Providers
“Do Not Track” Signals
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect Personal Information under our control. Unfortunately, no data storage or data transmission over the Internet can be 100% secure. Please also be aware that we may use third-party cloud service providers that provide hosting, data storage and other services pursuant to standard terms and conditions that may be non-negotiable; these service providers have informed us or the general public that they apply security measures they consider adequate for the protection of information within their systems, or they have a general reputation for applying such measures.
Please exercise caution in submitting Personal Information through the Service, especially if you are accessing the Service using a WiFi hotspot or public network. If you have reason to believe that your use of the Service is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account that you might have with us has been compromised), please let us know immediately, using the mechanisms described in the “Contacting Us” section below.
Choices and Access
Your Choices Regarding Our Use and Disclosure of Your Personal Information
We give you choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information for marketing purposes. You may opt-out from:
- Receiving promotional messages from us based upon your Personal Information: If you no longer want to receive promotional messages from us based upon your Personal Information, going forward, you may opt-out of receiving such marketing-related messages by sending a request to us at email@example.com. Please note that we may still send other messages to you, such as administrative messages.
- Our sharing of your Personal Information with Affiliates and other third parties for marketing purposes: If you no longer want us to share your Personal Information going forward with our Affiliates and other third parties for marketing purposes, regardless of whether such information is collected by us through the Service or otherwise, you may opt-out of such sharing by sending a request to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we will not be able to remove your Personal Information from the databases of any Affiliate or other third party with which we have already shared your Personal Information prior to implementing your opt-out request.
We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable.
How You Can Access or Change Your Personal Information
We welcome your willingness to update your information with us. You may review or ask us to update your Personal Information by sending a request to us at email@example.com.
In your request, please make clear what information you would like to have changed. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable. We are not responsible for changing information in the databases of Affiliates and other third parties with which we have already shared your Personal Information, and, if we comply with your request, we may still need to retain certain information for recordkeeping and other purposes.
Use of Service by Minors
The Service is not directed to individuals under the age of thirteen. If you are under the age of thirteen, please do not use the Service or provide any Personal Information to us.
The Service is controlled and operated by us from the United States, and is not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than that of the United States.